Thursday, December 15, 2011

One thing I'll never cook for my friends. Or my enemies (well, maybe my enemies). . .

This is what demon spices look like. 
. . .anything with the Naga pepper.  The Naga pepper is the hottest in the world.  Think about that.  This thing puts Habeneros to shame, and those things make Satan cry.  I like spicy food, but I also like the skin on my tongue. 

I don't get the whole extreme food (or extreme anything) trend.  Like overly preachy or overly folksy cooking shows, that nonsense sucks the joy out of cooking and eating.  When you have to wear gloves--and possibly a mask--to cut or chop a pepper, it's too hot.

I once chopped Jalepenos for some salsa I was making, and some of the juice sprayed onto my face.  I'm not joking when I say that the place where it hit burned for about 30 minutes.  I can't imagine how horrible it would have been if it had hit my eye (I once got black pepper in my eye--somehow--when I was a kid and I refused to touch the stuff for years after).  Can you imagine how horrible it would be if it was a Naga pepper?  Ugh.

The East Coast Grill in Cambridge, MA has capitalized on the masochistic streak of some people, and serves a pasta dish made from this nasty little hybrid one week out of the year.  They call that week Hell Week.  And it's Hell Week this week.  You want a plate of the sadistic pasta?  You have to sign a waiver.  For real.  No thanks! I like enjoying my food.

I'll have to revise what I said about friends and dinner yesterday--I am happy to eat whatever you serve me.  As long as what you serve me won't make me pass out, cry, or do serious physical damage as it goes down. 

Note to friends: no Naga peppers, okay?

1 comment:

  1. I'm giving these babies a wide berth! I'm with you: any food that makes my nose run, and makes me sweat is just not what I look for in a meal! I understand that there is a kind of addiction that few people have to hot foods. It's all wrapped up in the pain/pleasure principal. I should talk, because I'm a runner (and people say the same thing about running) but I'll take a pleasant 5M-er over toasting my taste buds any day!

    Sympathy: I got squirted with onion juice in the eye, yesterday, preparing my onions in bechamel sauce. That must've been about 1/10th of 1% of what you felt and I was in pain for five minutes!

    ReplyDelete