Friday, December 23, 2011

Naga peppers revisited

Earlier this week, I posted about the sadistic spice of the Naga pepper.  My friend Sara actually had found recipes for this and she enjoyed them a lot--she made relish and a spicy sugar.  She said, "I used this recipe for the relish with only minor variations  and I cut 3 fresh Naga peppers in half and buried them in about 2 cups of sugar, stirring once a day for the first week and then once a week after that until the peppers were dry."  So. . .may be something for me to try.  Well, maybe with a Jalepeno or an Habenero.  I'm not quite macho enough to venture near a Naga. . .

Sara's info also pointed me to Rambling Spoon, a new addition to the blogroll.

Thanks to friends who love them some spicy food, I've recently been using a lot more spicy things in my cooking--I'm getting less and less shy about adding Jalepenos and chile peppers in my dishes, though I don't do the amount true spiceheads love.  I'm not ashamed to say that food is not an extreme sport for me.  I do like a slight kick in certain dishes, but there are others where I don't feel that a lot of spice is very appropriate.  (Say, poached salmon with a yogurt-dill sauce.) 

So, for those of us who are relative neophytes to hot peppers, check out hot peppers and how to handle them.  Wear gloves when you cut any hot pepper.  Just trust me on this one, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment