Monday, November 7, 2011

Jayne's Dried Cranberry and Chocolate Chip Biscotti

Last year, my coworker Jayne made these and they were divine.  I figured I'd make a couple of batches recently she very kindly shared the recipe with me.  Warning: the dough is very tasty and you'll be in danger of gobbling it up before you even bake the biscotti logs.  Jayne said that she could never get hers to be hard; I do recall that when she brought them in they were soft and oh-so-delicious.  I was able to get them hard and biscotti like, but honestly, I do prefer these biscotti softer.  (So Jayne's kind of the queen of the ultimate luxury biscotti. . .)

This makes for a really nice gift for people with a sweet tooth (and obviously, no health issues around sugar), especially for the holidays. 



You will need:

2 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup (I stick) butter at room temperature
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Combine first three ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well to blend.  In another bowl with an electric mixer, bat sugar, eggs, butter, and vanilla.  And an mix in flour mixture, then mix in cranberries and chips.  The dough will be very thick.

Press the dough together into a ball with your hands, then divide it in half.  (Flour your hands a bit so the dough won't stick to you.)  Shape dough halves into two logs, about a foot long each, 4 inches wide and 3/4 inches tall. (If the dough is too dry, add a taspon of orange juice to each log and knead lightly, then reshape.)  Bake 30-35 minutes.  Allow to cool completely, slice into 1/2 inch pieces, and bake slices 5 minutes per side without parchment (I did it for about 7 minutes).  This should make about 3 dozen cookies.

Try not to eat them all in one sitting!  (It was very difficult for me to share these with the rest of my coworkers when Jayne brought these in last year.  I had to tie myself to my desk to keep from eating them all.)  These are excellent with coffee or a nice strong tea.  Also goes well with herbal teas (I'm partial to ginger tea with this).

No comments:

Post a Comment