Monday, October 31, 2011

Well, that was a big bag of fail

I got cobs of popcorn from my CSA last week, and I was very excited to make some.  One of the workers at the stand showed me how to get the kernels off the cob.  I couldn't wait to taste some local, fresh, popped sweet corn.

I took the kernels out--I read that you can pop the whole cob, but that the kernels stay on the cob after, and that's not how I'd like to eat popcorn.  So I took them out, and picked out all of the bits of the dried cob that came off with them.

I popped them on the stove (I could get a popcorn popping container for the microwave, but I do like it on the stove).  I heard some kernels popping, but then. . .nothing.  Then I smelled something burning.  Argh! So I took the pan off the burner, and this is what I had.

I still have two cobs; I'll ask what I should have done differently.

1 comment:

  1. Let's try this with my stove-top popper (if you can wait.) Popcorn *can* be fussy sometimes, but the correct heat and the constant turning that a real stove-top popper seems to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete