Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tuna steaks with apple and radish chutney

It's a shame I didn't photograph this!  I was happy with the way it came out.  I did find a new blog in my search for a photo of a watermelon radish (which I had for the first time yesterday), so I'll be linking there and you need to check Healthy. Happy. Life. out. (HHL is a vegan cooking blog.  Now, I'm a happy omnivore, but being an omnivore, I eat vegetables [cue my mother fainting] and am always happy to find new recipes of any sort to use.)

If you want to see some really fantastic ways to prepare the CSA take, you should check out Food Is Beautiful.  There are some gorgeous meals and snacks--from the CSA take--on that blog. Also, I am acquainted with the blogger, and she is super nice.

If you haven't already guessed, yesterday was my CSA pickup day, and I got some wonderful produce.  Acorn squash, broccoli, watermelon radish, pink radish, rainbow chard, spinach, arugula, cilantro, and potatoes.  Yum.  I've been craving a nice winter squash--I love winter squashes--and was thinking about dinner all day.  My neighbor and her boyfriend came up for dinner, and this is what I made.

I took two of the watermelon radishes, chopped them up, chopped up two pink radishes, and chopped a grannysmith apple.  I added some minced, fresh garlic and sauteed all of it in olive oil over medium heat for about ten minutes, and added a dash of soy sauce for the last few minutes.  (The radishes get very mellow after you cook them.)  I coated the tuna steaks with generous amounts of powdered ginger and garlic granules, and pan fried them in olive oil and a splash of lemon juice over medium heat (until it reached the desired level of doneness).

Meanwhile, I sliced and baked the acorn squash (and roasted the seeds) and steamed the chard in the microwave.  I spooned the chutney over each tuna steak, and voila! Dinner was served.

No comments:

Post a Comment