Thursday, September 29, 2011

Color me. . .meh.

Well, I can't have all triumphs all the time, but this wasn't horrible, either.  It was just too cabbagey.  (NO, it's not a word, so sue me.)

Today was my CSA pickup day, and I got a good haul, as per usual.  Collard greens, spinach, arugula, radishes, beets, cauliflower, cilantro, carrots, purple cabbage, fennel, hot peppers, delicata squash and acorn squash.   

I wasn't really hungry, so I figured I'd make something light with some of the ingredients I had.  I took some of the collard greens, a little of the purple cabbage, a few radishes (chopped) and some of the fennel fronds, and sauteed them in olive oil.

The result wasn't horrible, but it wasn't exciting.  The flavors of most of the ingredients were far too similar--radishes get quite mild when you cook them, collards blended too much with the actual cabbage.  In hindsight, I should have swapped out the collards for either the spinach or the arugula, added some onion and garlic, and maybe one of the seeded and finely chopped hot peppers. 

However, I do like the color and I will try it with ingredients that will give it a bigger kick next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment