Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tomato, basil, and mint salad

This was pretty self-explainitory.  Basically, I had come home from my CSA with the motherlode of tomatoes--early girls, cherries, and several varieties of heirlooms.  I also had a bag of basil, and I had mint from my garden in the fridge.  And a dinner was born!

Or a breakfast.  Actually, a lunch.  But it turned into a breakfast because OH MY GOD I JUST COULDN'T WAIT.  I put it on the plate to take the picture and the tomatoes, they just called to me.  They said, "Pamela, why don't you eat us for breakfast? Cast off those shakles that keep you tied to oatmeal and fruit or eggs or omlettes for breakfast.  As long as you eat food, it's all good."

Okay, so we've established that I'm a little weird. . .

Anyway, this is how I made the salad: I took the heirloom tomatoes, sliced them, chopped up some basil and mint leaves, sprinkled a little salt and pepper on the salad, and then tried (unsuccessfully) to hold off on eating it until lunch.  I didn't even bother with olive oil, though that would be delicious.  Everything is good with olive oil.

Mint and tomatoes work quite well together.  These tomatoes were quite mild; I'm used to a slightly acidic bite in tomatoes but these heirlooms were different.  I like putting mint in salads--it also goes quite well with sliced cucumber or in a leafy salad. 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great meal! Tomatoes from the garden - you cannot beat that. No wonder you couldn't wait. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete