Thursday, August 11, 2011

Eggplant and Vegetable Casserole


Yesterday was my CSA pickup day, and I hit the motherlode of vegetables--zucchini, summer squash, potatoes, sweet corn, a huge eggplant, tomatoes, onions, cucumber. . .it was nice.  And I was really looking forward to cooking dinner with some of those ingredients.

I thought I'd make a casserole.  Not quite ratatouille; you need peppers (and possibly mushrooms) for that.  But I thought that eggplant and the zucchini and squash and tomatoes, with fresh herbs and the onion with some leftover homemade tomato sauce I had made earlier this week would be a tasty dinner.

First, let's look at the vegetables:


Those are just a few of the vegetables I had.  The summer squash was from my parents' garden.  They're having a bumper crop this year.  Heck, let's face it, they have a bumper crop of that and zucchini every year.  And yes, that container is of my leftover sauce (made with a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes, minced garlic, onion, and fresh oregano).  The container was about halfway full.



And the herbs were nice as well.  The garlic I had gotten from my CSA last week--I was down to the last two cloves.  The rosemary came from one of my garden plots.  I thought rosemary would add a nice, comforting flavor to the dish.  I chopped the onion, minced the garlic and rosemary, and sauteed them over medium heat in a skillet.

Basically, I waited until they got translucent.  Ah, I do love the smell of onions and garlic being sauteed in a little olive oil.  Next, I chopped the eggplant and added that to the skillet.  As you can see, it was a large eggplant and I maybe should have only used half:


Never fear, though because I have more than one casserole dish, and the eggplant had to cook down for a bit anyway.  I sauteed the eggplant, covered the skillet and let it cook down.  While I was waiting, I cut the zucchini and summer squash into quarters and then sliced them, and chopped the tomatoes.  After about ten or fifteen minutes, I added the eggplant to a casserole I bought at a yard sale, realized I still had a lot, and pulled out my enameled cast iron casserole that I got for Christmas.  I added the other vegetables, tossed with a little olive oil, and put about a tablespoon of shredded mozzerella cheese on each casserole:



Then, I put them in a preheated 400-degree oven for about 20 minutes to a half an hour, and boiled up some rigatoni while I waited.  This is how it looked when I took it out of the oven:


And then I just feasted.  YUM.  And I have lunch--and then some--taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment