Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A big hit

I had a friend over on Saturday and made a hearty but summer appropriate lunch.  I made blackened tuna with mango salsa.  I quite liked it, though I think I cooked it just a little too long (I like my tuna rare).  I did cheat and get ready-made mango salsa, but still, it came out well. 

I have a ton of fresh herbs from my garden plots.  I'm not shy about putting people to work so my friend set about finely mincing garlic from my CSA, the rosemary, oregano, and thyme and slicing a fresh zucchini.  We sauteed that in olive oil and an onion (from the CSA again) and then added the zucchini slices and let them cook down.  That's my favorite way to cook zucchini or summer squash--my mother taught me that.  She also says that sprinkling on some parmesean cheese at the end is a nice touch, and I have done that (especially if it's my main course).  I also made rice and homemade kinda-sorta gazpacho. 

I don't normally buy tuna steaks, but I've got a membership at BJ's and can get a bag of six that are individually vaccuum sealed, so they will last in the freezer indefinitely.  I had gotten these ten months ago and am now down to my last one. 

I'll be getting a little more creative with my cooking--I've resolved to eat what I've got stocked up (well, not everything--otherwise, I'd be eating pasta morning, noon, and night).  We'll see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment