Thursday, June 2, 2011

Vegetarian Chili

Earlier this week, I went to a friend's house for dinner.  It was a potluck, so we all brought something.  I'm not vegetarian, but our friend Steve is, and he often cooks for us (and cooks meat because he is a very good host).  I brought salad and vegetarian chili.  My friend Steve said he liked the chili.  Well, Steve, here's the recipe.  It's ridiculously easy if you have a slow cooker.  Also, check out his pasta salad recipe at the link.  I think I should start growing dill.  Hmmm. . .

Vegetarian Cocoa Chili

1 pint of home canned beans.  I often use pinto or red, or you can use half pints of assorted beans such as red and black, etc.  You can also buy two cans of beans at the supermarket, or use three cups of beans that were already prepared and/or frozen afterwards.

One 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes with juice. 

One 14-ounce can of stewed tomatoes (I didn't have this onhand, and so went without, and the chili was fine, but it does add a nice flavor)

Three hot peppers, chopped (I get the small cans of them from the grocery store, if you grow and picke them yourself, open up a jar and take out three large ones, or to taste.  Also, if you grow and can your own, I am in awe and am not worthy!)

Garlic, chili powder, and cayenne pepper to taste.

1/2 tsp. to 1 tsp. of cocoa powder.  Do NOT use more than that, as you'll have a weird chocolate sauce over beans.

Combine all ingredients into a 4-quart slow cooker.  Cook on high setting for 2-3 hours or low setting for 3-4 hours.  If you like, add chopped cilantro before serving.

You can add ground meat if you prefer your chili to be carnivore-friendly.  I've had it vegetarian and with ground beef or ground poultry, and it's good either way.  You can increase the ingredients (but not the cocoa, never more than a teaspoon) and cook in a six quart slow cooker if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment