Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

I hope everyone out there had a wonderful Mother's Day.  I had my parents over for dinner, which is always fun because I like cooking and I think they rather like not having to cook.  Unfortunately for them, I did sort of put them to work--my mother set the table and my dad carved the chicken.  He also hung up plant hooks on my balcony and will put up my toilet paper roll in my bathroom this week, which means I will owe him big time for Father's Day.

My mother also brought me lilacs from their house.  I mean, here it is Mother's Day, and she's bringing me flowers! They smell lovely. 

Let me tell you something about my mother: she always enjoyed eating vegetables.  When I was a kid, I would willingly eat six things (popcorn, toast, pasta with margarine, chocolate, chicken and hot dogs, in case you were curious).  Everything else would be a battle.  Especially vegetables (and meatloaf, which let's face it, sounds kind of gross to me this day). 

She and my father always maintained a garden--it was pretty huge when I was a kid--and most of the vegetables that were served at mealtimes had come from our garden.  She froze them for winter use, so yes, their garden was pretty productive.  I joke with her all the time now that my childhood was wasted on me.  Now I'd go hog wild all over that produce--my god, they used to grow garlic (I used to hate the stuff).  They grew corn at one point.  They grew a lot of stuff, and a wide variety of stuff.  It wasn't just a few tomato plants like my current attempts.  (Yes, I was okay with raw tomatoes.  No, I did not like tomato sauce for years.  Seriously, I was 20 or 21 before I decided I was okay with tomato sauce.)

They still have a garden--it's much smaller now--and I comandeer some space for basil plants and other herbs.  Although they didn't realize it at the time, despite my pickiness they did rub off on me.  I did eventually come to appreciate good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment