Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How my garden grows. I hope.

All New Square Foot Gardening Cookbook
Add caption
I spent part of the day Saturday planting in the community garden plot I share with the organizer of that fine project.  In this community garden, we're basing it on the square foot gardening method.  We tried the topsy turvey tomato planters last year and they were a bust, so if the three or four people who read my blog were curious about them, take it from me--it's a waste of time. 

My garden partner let me go hog wild, which was rather dangerous.  I planted six roma tomato plants, two big boy tomato plants, five pepper plants, a pea plant, oregano, basil, and rosemary.  There are three spots left, and we'll likely fill them with cherry tomatoes (oh, snack happiness!) cucumbers, and I don't know what for the remaining one.  Eggplant? Broccoli again? Dill? Mint?

The kale from last year came back, as did the parsley, thyme, and chives.  The parsley looks great--better than last year.  Really full and lush and just so very tempting.  This may be the summer of gremolata. 

I didn't go crazy with the leafy stuff this year.  I did last year and I learned quickly that in the height of the summer, the leafy stuff wilts.  Also, to make a proper salad, you're either going to have to take a whole head of lettuce, or a little bit from about 20 heads of the stuff.  I tightened my belt a bit this year to join a CSA again, and after last year I know that the leafy stuff is always quite abundant there.  So I'm not too worried about that. 

Tomatoes were my big thing--I'm hoping these plants produce well.  I recently used up the last of the tomatoes I canned last summer, and they were better than any store canned tomato I've had.  They taste like sunshine (as the friend who gave me her canner says).  I would take a jar and cook them in olive oil with some garlic and maybe some basil or oregano for a very light pasta sauce.  I'd make chili with it.  I'd make minestrone soup with it.  I love tomatoes anyway; sometimes, I swear I have a lycopene addiction.

So, I'm crossing my fingers that the garden does well this year.  My workplace also has garden plots and I have got to find out where my plot is this week and get cracking on the planning.  I ususally don't plant until Memorial Day weekend (safe bet there won't be a frost after then), but it may be worth it to start on that plot early as well.

2 comments:

  1. My tomatoes have caught the blight the last two years, so this year I am planting htem in hay bales and hoping for some actual tomatoes.

    That being said-it's too cold her to put tomatoes out until around Memorial Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's awful about the tomatoes, Jenn. I hope the hay bales work this year! I think I may have planted too early as it was cool and rainy for the past 3 or 4 days here; hopefully the plants will persevere.

    ReplyDelete