Monday, April 18, 2011

Fun weekend and a bean dip recipe.

Easy Beans: Fast and Delicious Bean, Pea, and Lentil Recipes, Second EditionI spent this weekend getting the garden beds ready at the community garden I am a part of.  I met with friends, got my hair cut (finally, it needed it), and promised myself I'd clean the house but ended up dorking out and You Tubing Old English.  (Why yes, I am a geek.  Why do you ask?)

I made a really nice dip for my friend's get together.  I took some white beans that I had canned (a pint of them), added a tablespoon each of garlic, paprika, oregano, and black pepper, some lemon juice and some olive oil, and pureed the mixture.  I used about a quarter cup of lemon juice--I'll probably use less next time.

I can my own beans--I buy the dried beans and soak them, cook them, and pressure can them.  The dried beans are much less expensive, and easier on my back to carry home than the canned beans.  Also, when I can them myself I can do so without adding salt.  Before my friend gave me her old pressure canner to use (she no longer cans) I soaked beans, cooked them partway, and froze them.  I like having them onhand--this way, I don't have to soak them or cook them and I can add them to soups or stews or create dips at a moment's notice.  The beans do tend to be a bit soft--this is probably due to my relative neophyte status as a canner--but as I don't tend to eat a plate of beans, I'm not too fussy.

No comments:

Post a Comment