Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lunch lady

I use the Complete Tightwad Gazette for inspiration and ideas--ways to keep myself on track and frugal, and glean some creative ideas to use the things I already have.  One thing Amy Dacyzcyn talks about a couple of times is refrigerator dough.  I'd always meant to make it, but never made the time.  I'd kick myself--she included a letter from a reader who talked about making Tightwad Turnovers with the dough and leftovers, and I thought it sounded ingenious.  (I'm a big fan of using leftovers in new and inventive ways.)

So I did a search--none of my cookbooks have the recipe for refrigerator dough--and found a recipe here.  I planned a quiet weekend--last weekend was extra busy, as I had people over for dinner not once, but twice--and I could use a break.  HA!

So after doing my share of trashy-novel reading, floor sweeping and mopping, and rerun-watching, I decided to try my hand at the dough.  It was actually pretty easy.  Today, I made calzones/turnovers with the dough and leftover turkey I had in the freezer.  It was really easy and the calzones turned out well.  I rolled out a 1/4 cup ball of dough into a circle (or circle like object--let's face it, my turnovers aren't pretty), spread some Dijon mustard over them, put a little bit of cheese on it, some mushrooms, and some cut-up turkey (and in some I put in spinach).  I cooked up some homemade soup I had in the freezer, made a couple of rolls with the little dough I had leftover, and cooked one of the turnovers (400 degrees for 15 minutes or so).  The rolls were really good--if you like the Pillsbury type rolls, they reminded me of that but much, much better.  The turnover was tasty, and I wrapped the rest and put them in freezer bags.  There's a toaster oven at work, so I'll bring one to lunch each day.  We'll see how they do after being frozen!

It was a challenge at first--I kept overfilling them.  Less is more, I must keep that in mind.  But I liked this.  I plan on making this again--it was very, very easy.  I especially like the idea of having dough ready for rolls in the fridge and a creative way to use all kinds of leftovers.  Any kind of meat or vegetable with the right seasonings will make a nice turnover/calzone.  Packing a lunch has been a challenge sometimes--I either wake up late or, if the weather is hairy, I'm so busy digging my car out that I just don't have the time or energy to make the sandwich (yes, I know! I know!  And I could make the sandwich the night before but they can get soggy).  This will help a lot--I can grab one out of the freezer.  Here's hoping they taste just as good after being frozen.  I'll post about it tomorrow.



The Complete Tightwad Gazette

1 comment:

  1. Love the refrigerator dough recipe. I make crescent rolls out it by rolling some of the dough into a circle and buttering it and then cutting it into 12 pie slices and rolling each one. The first time I did it I was amazed at how good they were. Wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete